Roku OS 9.2 to Deliver New Search and Discovery Features and Enhanced Roku Voice Functionality
Roku Zones and Updated 4K Spotlight Channel Provide Curated Browsable Experiences; New Roku Tips & Tricks Channel Helps Customers Get More Value
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190919005120/en/
Roku TV with new shortcuts (Graphic: Business Wire)
“The Roku OS allows consumers to easily get to the content they want to watch so they can sit back and relax,” said
Features coming to
SEARCH & DISCOVERY
- Roku Zones – Search for a genre or topical subject for a curated selection of relevant content from channels across the
Rokuplatform. Roku Zones are organized into browsable, categorized rows that may include new releases, titles that are free to watch, rentals and more. Examples include the “Drama Movies & TV Zone” or the “Superhero Movies Zone” which will be frequently updated providing users with a refreshed selection of entertainment. Additional genre and topical Zones may be added over time.
- 4K Spotlight Channel – A content-first, hand-curated selection of brilliant 4K entertainment from channels across the
Rokuplatform now leverages the new Roku Zones architecture. Browse a wide variety of 4K titles across a number of categories such as Most Popular, Action, Drama, TV shows, 4K channels and more.
NEW ROKU VOICE FEATURES
- Set Sleep Timers on Roku TVs – Roku TV customers can use their voice remote or
Rokumobile app to quickly set a sleep timer on their TV by saying things like “Go to sleep at 11 p.m.”
- Search by Movie Quotes – Enjoy finding movie results by searching for the top quotes from thousands of popular movies across the
- 4K in Roku Search – Use Roku Voice to say “4K movies” to see results for a variety of popular 4K movies. Entering a text search for “4K” will now return results including the 4K Movies & TV Zone.
- Support for Roku Media Player – Customers who use the Roku Media Player to play their personal music, movies and photos can now use Roku Voice to find, play and control stored files by using commands such as “Play,” “Skip,” and more
- Control Multiple Roku Devices with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant –Customers who use Alexa-enabled devices and/or Google Assistant to control their
Rokudevice can now control multiple Rokudevices in their home
ROKU TIPS & TRICKS
The new Roku Tips & Tricks channel is packed with helpful videos created by
Additional updates in Roku OS 9.2 include:
- Roku TV™ support for the new Roku Wireless Subwoofer when Roku TV Wireless Speakers are paired to a Roku TV
- New shortcut section on the Home Screen designed to reduce the number of steps needed to complete popular actions. At launch,
Rokuplayers will have a shortcut tile to add channels and power the TV on and off. Roku TVs will have shortcut tiles to add channels and set a sleep timer. More shortcuts are expected to be added over time, including a shortcut on Rokuplayers to turn your TV's power off.
- Channel performance improvements have been made to video start times within channels on the platform, as well as smarter caching of channels to reduce the number of load screens customers see when launching channels they watch the most, and making initial setup of new
Roku OS 9.2 will begin rolling out to select
This press release contains “forward-looking” statements that are based on our beliefs and assumptions and on information currently available to us on the date of this press release. Forward-looking statements may involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. These statements include but are not limited to the benefits, impact, and features of Roku OS 9.2 and the timing of the update to the